This report provides comparative data about Vermont hospital quality, patient satisfaction, pricing, and financial information. In addition, it provides information about Southwestern Vermont Medical Center's (SVMC) quality improvement initiatives, strategic initiatives, governance, and process for filing a complaint. To view this information, click on any of the topics below.
Hospital Quality - Ratings for the Public
Explore Hospital Quality Ratings and Data. You can get a “snapshot” of quality of Vermont hospitals by looking at the following aspects of healthcare:
Deaths and Readmissions:
- How each hospital’s performance on the readmission and death (mortality) measures compares to the national rate.
- How recently-discharged patients responded to a national survey about their hospital experience. For example, how well did a hospital’s doctors and nurses communicate with patients and manage their pain?
Timely and effective care:
- How often and quickly each hospital gives recommended treatments for certain conditions like heart attack, heart failure, and pneumonia, and follow best practices to prevent surgical complications.
This section provides information on infections that occur while the patient is in the hospital. Many healthcare-associated infections can be prevented when the hospitals use CDC-recommended infection control steps.
Nurse Staffing Information
See information about nursing care hours per patient day.
Financial and Pricing Information
This section provides information on SVMC’s:
- Budget summary
- Financial information and benchmarks
- Cost shift
- Hospital spending
- Top 25 inpatient admissions and outpatient procedures and their hospital charges
- Physician and hospital charges for common outpatient diagnostic procedures and visits
See SVMC's Discount and Free Care Policy.
All Vermont Community Hospitals
Find Financial and Pricing Information for all Vermont community hospitals.
Find Discount and Free Care Policies for all Vermont community hospitals.
Other Information about SVMC
- Read about the quality improvement projects we have undertaken to make patient care safer and more effective.
- Read about strategic initiatives to meet health care needs in our community and opportunities for public participation in strategic planning.
- Public participation: read about hospital governance, including SVMC's public meeting schedule, contact information, and volunteer opportunities.
- We encourage consumers to voice their complaints, concerns, or suggestions. Here is information about the hospital complaint process.
Additional Resources on Hospital Quality Information
2014 Hospital Report Cards
Current Report Cards for other Vermont Hospitals
Vermont Department of Health Hospital Report Card Website